Friday, 7 June 2013



Still in London.

Monday 27th May
After our overnight stay on the museum moorings we had to be out early as the trip boat was operating today, being a Bank Holiday. So we moved all of the few hundred yards back out onto the King's Cross moorings. We then hopped on a bus and headed for Camden Market. In the evening we went over to Trafalgar Square as the London Symphony Orchestra were putting on a free performance .

View from the mooring at the museum
Tuesday 28th May
We had a bit of a lazy day today, partly because it was pouring with rain most of the day and also Jess was heading back home. So the fire was lit and a few games of chess played before having an early dinner and heading for Waterloo station for Jess to get the 7:35pm train back to Winchester. After saying our goodbyes to Jess, James and I decided, as it had turned out to be a fairly nice evening, to head over to Knightsbridge and look at Harrods all lit up, we had a lovely stroll before heading back to King's Cross and having a bite to eat before getting back to LJ gone midnight.

Wednesday 29th May
King's Cross - Paddington Basin
4 miles and 4 locks
Fairly early start this morning as it was dry first thing with showers forecast later, also we needed to be off our mooring as our 48 hours were up. After stopping to top at the water at the first lock it was off through the Camden locks and this time hardly anyone around. As we approached the bottom of the Camden locks I headed off to empty the lock when I realised the pound above was virtually empty, the lock wasn't even half full and it was the same level as the pound, so I let James know and we headed up to the next one to let some water through. At this point CaRT were aware and they opened a sluice gate and let water flow through, it took about half an hour to get the water up to a level where we would be able to get through. We passed through the second lock with no problems and then at the top one I couldn't get the gate closed, there seemed to be something jamming to open, as the CaRT guys were doing some clearing of trees just below the lock I head down to them for some assistance. After a bit of wobbling and forcing we finally managed to shut the gate and continue on our journey. We arrived back at the Basin and managed, again, to get the last but one mooring space, which coincidentally was right next to the one we had last time.

Very low pound above Camden bottom lock

More water please

Water as requested

Thursday 30th May
Today we mainly stayed around the basin and were lucky enough to see the bridge being curled up, this usually happens on a Friday but today they were doing some maintenance to it and therefore it was curled and uncurled several times. (Can't think of another way of describing this - could it be lifted??) Later in the evening we got the bus into Leicester Square and had a wander round the various street acts going on before heading back to LJ, at yes gone midnight again!

Curling or lifting??

Definitely curled here

Friday 31st May
We headed out this morning to the markets just round the corner from the Basin at Church Street and ended up walking along Regents Street and into the park, we bought a sandwich and some chips and sat in Regents Park and watched the world go by. On deciding to get back to LJ we thought we would find the canal and head along there for a pleasant walk away from the traffic, we got to the bridge over the canal and looked down only to see Doug and James on Chance heading back to the Basin, we missed a lift back as we had a busy road to cross and then down the steps to the canal. We invited Doug and James over for coffee once they had settled back in and were sorted but it turned into slightly more as we got the cheeses out and picky bits and then of course coffee wouldn't go with that so it turned out to be wine and port, then followed by coffee. 

Doug, Debbie and James (pinched from Chance's blog)

Saturday 1st June
Thought we'd try to get a bit of exercise today and got on the bikes and went through the parks, starting with Hyde Park, then onto Green Park and then St James. We visited Princess Diana's Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park, which we hadn't been to before. Then it was off along Embankment and we ended up in the Indian YMCA for a very good authentic curry at £7 each, what a bargain. 

Sunday 2nd June
We had an early start and went to the East End markets at Brick Lane. There was lots of fascinating things for sale and many potential bargains to be had. 

Having a stroll and inspecting the boats in the Basin

All in all a very busy and enjoyable week again.

Cruising - 4 miles
Locks - 4
Tunnels - 1

Cruising - 168.25

Locks - 103
Tunnels - 5
Bridges - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment